MANGO HABANERO JUN - BEE BOLD
The kettles at the Junery have been whistling non-stop this past week. The habaneros have been delivered and they are bold in color and a little daunting in nature; If you’ve ever processed habaneros or any capsicum, then you know exactly what we mean. Beyond the mild amounts of fluster, and regular evacuations and ventilations of our kitchen to minimize our exposure to the capsaicin in the air, our brewers are humming with genuine excitement as they prepare the ingredients for the Mango Habanero Jun.
At first sip what you experience is the mouthfeel of the sweet creaminess of mango as it engulfs your taste buds. Then comes the warmth and mild heat of the habaneros. And we mean exactly that-warm and mild heat, not hot, not spicy, not the burning sensation that makes you want to run for a bucket of water, no, we mean heat. It’s mild yet bold; there’s presence, but it does not linger; there is an invitation that is alluring without the anxiety of distress usually associated with habanero peppers.
Our brewers achieve this delicate balance with gentle introduction of the peppers and by balancing the heat with lemons and ginger. There is true culinary chemistry at play as we endeavor to achieve the delicate equilibrium of sweet and heat.
Meredith, our Head Brewer at the Junery says that “the habanero is a really strong pepper in heat and especially [potent because we are] getting them fresh from a local farm. I feel like the flavor is so powerful that it doesn't take much to get the heat that we need.”
Meredith’s favorite part about Mango Habanero though, is not the heat, but the sweet.
“I particularly love the sweetness of the mango, it’s what really makes the drink for me. I look forward to the tropical taste of mango. It's like getting to drink the last little bit of summer.”
And she’s right! When Mango Habanero is launched, it’s at the tail end of the summer when we in the south east are experiencing shorter and cooler days. The heat and humidity of summer is slowly becoming a memory, as are the distinctive summer flavors, like mangoes. The sweetness of the mangoes in our Mango Habanero Jun snaps our senses back to late July and the gentle heat adds to the reminiscing by warming our insides, sip after delicious sip.
The combination of flavors in the alchemy of this beverage and the way they please the palate is only part of the story behind what we do at Shanti Elixirs. The medicinal effect of our ingredients is the other important factor.
- Mangos are rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium and copper.
- They contain high doses of Quercetin, beta-carotene and astragalin.
- Mangos are a rich source of Vitamins A, C, B6, B9, E & K.
- Mangos contain digestive enzymes like amylase and pectin which can aid with digestion.
- The abundance of Iron in mangos helps to increase red blood cells in the body.
- The glutamine acid + vitamins C, B6 and B9(folic acid) present in mangos, are helpful for brain health, mood, sleep and improving concentration and memory.
- Habaneros contain vitamins A, C, B6 & K.
- They are rich in the minerals potassium and copper.
- Habaneros are rich in antioxidants.
- In small doses, habaneros can help with heartburn, lower cholesterol, reduce blood pressure and minimize the risk of cancer.
- The capsaicin present in habañeros is anti-inflammatory and can help with insulin regulation.
These findings have not been evaluated by the FDA
Our Values as Medicine
- Electing to use organic ingredients guarantees that our beverages are higher in nutritional value and antioxidants.
- Sourcing as many of our ingredients as locally as possible ensures that they retain more of their freshness because they do not have to travel long distances to get to our kitchen.
- Organic and locally sourced means that more of the vitamins and minerals of our products are bioavailable to you.
Sip, Savor + Share
As summer is winding down you gather your friends and family for one last outdoor bbq. This year, you’ve kept everyone in mind and sectioned off the grill; your meats are designated to one area, and your veggies to another; you even have the gluten free buns steaming in a separate wrapper!
In the distance you hear someone holler “Dang! That’s good!” You look over and see your auntie holding a bottle of Mango Habañero that you procured at the farmers market earlier today. You’re delighted that she found them, you wanted your people to feel as special as you feel when you drink Jun.
Between laughter she says “I was bracing myself for a minute there!” and you watch as she offers your younger cousin a sip; he nods approvingly and runs to the cooler to grab a bottle for himself. Luckily, you thought ahead and saved a bottle for yourself because you remembered that last year they ran out before you could get to them.
As you plate the veggies and flip the meat, you look out at the kids running around, the grandparents in their thrones, the aunts and uncles playing cards, the teenage cousins off to one side sharing their screens and your friends laughing at some shared joke.
You breathe in and offer your gratitude for the beautiful day that allowed this gathering to occur-for the health and wellness of all who are present-for the tender hearts for all those who have transitioned-for the abundance of good food and drink and for the joy and laughter that is evident all around.
In gratitude for your sweet blessing, we offer our own:
Shanti’s Blessing: May our sweet and spicy elixir wake up your pallet, sweeten your words and warm your heart. May your intentions be clear and your thoughts be aligned. May your efforts be valiant and your will be strong. BEE BOLD
Shanti and the Shanti Elixirs Hive