The Kit Includes:
- 1-gallon brew jar with lid
- Jun culture and strong starter liquid
- Reusable glass bear with honey (can get without)
- Organic green tea blend
- Reusable Cotton tea bag
- pH test strips
- Brew Notebook and Pen
- Organic cotton bee cover
- Step-by-step instructions
Items You’ll Need:
- Medium-sized pot
- Large Measuring cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)
- Extra glass container (Jun Scoby Hotel)
- Other Flavoring Supplies: 8-16 oz swing top bottles, funnel, strainer
- 12 cups filtered or reverse osmosis (RO) water
- 3 tablespoons organic loose-leaf green tea
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 Jun culture (referred to as SCOBY or Mother)
- 1 cup strong Jun tea (called starter liquid)
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil, then let sit.
- Place loose-leaf green tea blend (3T) into the cotton tea bag and add to water.
- Remove from heat and allow the tea to steep covered for about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag, compost the tea, rinse and air dry tea bag.
- Check the temperature of your tea if the temperature has not cooled to 110 F add some of the remaining water.
- Once the temperature is between 105-110 add the honey from the jar (1 cup) and stir it until it dissolves completely.
- Pour your sweet tea mixture into the 1-gallon brew jar.
- Add the remaining water and allow the tea to cool to room temperature (68 to 78 F) before the next step.
- Add the Jun culture and starter liquid (1 cup) to the brew jar.
- Conduct pH test. Should read 4.5 or below (optional)
- Place your brew jar on a counter out of direct sunlight and with plenty of ventilation. Do not move while brewing.
- Cover the jar with the cotton elastic bee cloth and leave in place for 6-7 days. Set the plastic lid aside.
- Take notes in your brew log notebook.Write the date, pH, brew number, temperature of the room, type of tea, etc.
- By 6-7 days a new culture will have grown on the top of your brew. Gently slip your pipette along the side of the jar and into the brew. Pull out enough liquid to taste test.
- Taste every day until your ideal Jun flavor is reached. Once done take your pH strip and ensure that the brew is between 2.5-3.5.
- With clean hands, rubbed in apple cider vinegar for added protection, remove the Jun cultures and place them in a glass container. Pour off 2 cups of your newly made Jun and place on top of the cultures. This will be your starter liquid for your next batch. Cover with cotton bee cloth or any cloth and seal with a rubber band.
You can enjoy the rest of your Jun as-is or do a second ferment to add flavor and more carbonation. Enjoy!
Be sure to share your #shantielixirs #shantijun #shantijunrecipes and tag @shantielixirs and we just might share!